Friday, February 24, 2012

Week 3 - Sunbonnet Sleuth Mystery Quilt

Today is Friday and I am posting the next episode of the Sunbonnet Sleuth Mystery today. I will be in Athens GA tomorrow teaching a Circle of Nine www.circleofninequilts.com workshop to the Cotton Patch Quilt Guild. I decided it is better to post early rather than late. Here is this week's cutting and sewing.



1. Cut (4) fabric E strips 3" x wof, recut into (48) 3" squares.

2. Cut (2) fabric G strips 5-1/2" x wof, recut into (12) 5-1/2" squares.

3. Position  a 3" E square in oppositie corners of the a 5-1/2" G square. Sew on the diagonal from corner to corner. Trim 1/4" from stitching line, trim excess fabric, fold out resulting triangle and press. Repeat in remaining two corners to complete a square-in-a-square unit. Make 12 units.

4. Cut (2) fabric A 5-1/2" x wof srips, recut into (24) 3" x 5-1/2" pieces. Sew the (24) A pieces to opposite sides of the (12) square-in-a-square units. 

5. Cut (4) fabric E 3" x wof strips and (2) fabric A 5-1/2" strips. Sew a fabric E strip to the top and bottom of the fabric A strip to make a strip set. Make (2) strip sets. Recut the strip sets at 3" intervals to make (24) units. Sew these units to the top and bottom of the units made in step 4 to complete the block. Make 12 blocks.




4 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's just me (although I tried looking at your blog with both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer to the same result) but only the first of your images will display. The other four links aren't working. With only the first image we can see what to make but don't have the cutting instructions or sizes. What a disappointment. I was ready to sew this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. Plus, I tried and just could not figure how the top line worked. How do those pieces make the center square?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working on this problem right now and plan to repost the cutting and sewing in the morning. Thanks for bringing this to my attention so quickly. JA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uploaded new text and images. Let me know if these work for you and your PC. I believe I have solved the problem. I am using a MAC. Thanks for letting me know about the posting issues.

    ReplyDelete