Tuesday, February 7, 2012

failures

Before I start making a quilt I plot it out in my mind. I get visual pictures of what I think the quilt will look like, rearranging colors, etc. So, I had this great visual picture of a quilt using some particular fabrics and I couldn't wait to get started. For this quilt I had to make 4 sample blocks to see how my idea would work. 

It didn't work. I have decided to set this collection of fabric aside and abandon the project for the time being. I have to totally rethink it and start over.

Today's Quote:

Success usuallly comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.
Henry David Thoreau

Every quilter, even professional quilters like myself, have ideas that just don't work when put to fabric. I will put the images of the fabric back in the brain and start sewing something else. I have a lot of not so complicated ideas that I can stitch up while I am waiting. I have found that waiting for a design when I am busy doing something else is a solution is just as important as forging ahead. 


Here is a quilt I made a couple of years ago that uses a particular collection of fabric. I had this fabric pinned up and contemplated it for weeks before I came up with this design. The wavy nine patch blocks have the outside edges cut with a wavy edge rotary blade and they are top stitched to the actual blocks in the quilt. The quilt is called "Sound Waves" because of the musical theme of the fabric and the wavy edges in the nine patch blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment