Saturday, January 19, 2013

Kanuga Quilting Retreat

Looking for the 3rd week of Sunbonnet Sleuth Mystery? It will be posted on Tuesday night, 22 January. Why? Because I am leading a quilting retreat with my sister, Janet Houts, at the Kanuga Conference Center in Hendersonville, NC and I don't have my Sunbonnet Sleuth files on my ibook. We are teaching workshops at the retreat using our new book, Log Cabin Quilts, the Basics and Beyond. Books and trim tools can be ordered from my website: www.jeanannquilts.com

To my great delight two of the quilters at the retreat decided to make quilts to donate to the children who are being treated at the children's cancer hospitals in their home towns. Look what they are making....


Here is Denise from Westminster, SC. She has chosen a wildly bright fish fabric for some of the log cabin strips in her blocks and for the borders. She hopes there will be a few fish left over to applique on the back of the quilt. Denise is making 8" blocks using the original Log Cabin Trim Tool.


The photo on the left shows Anne of Jackson, Mississippi sewing the blocks for her quilt. Anne is using the Log Cabin Trim Tool Two to combine 6" and 12" blocks in her quilt. On the right side is the completed quilt top she plans to donate to a teenager on the cancer ward. The design by Janet Houts.

Supporting children living with cancer is a cause very dear to me as my granddaughter Madeline is in remission and living with leukemia. Here is Madeline with her mother and father at a Rally Foundation event to raise funds for childhood cancer research. I can't believe my very proper daughter actually ran wearing a pink tutu and a cap with piggy ears. Parents of children with cancer will do whatever it takes to support their children and have lots of fun doing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment