Friday, January 22, 2021

Woven Ribbons - Make Me!

 Here are the instructions for the Woven Ribbon quilts shown in the previous post. The quilt is made from scraps so there are no yardage amounts except for the inside and outside borders. For the outside border you will need 1/2 yard and for the wider outside border you will need 1-1/2 yards. 

The top block diagram gives the size to cut the strips to the exact size. This drives me crazy. It takes hours and hours to cut every strip to the exact size and I don't have the patience. I just want to sit down and sew. Therefore...

I made my blocks using my original 8" Log Cabin Trim Tool. When you use the tool cut your strips for the blocks at least 1-3/4" wide (they can be wider) and use any length scrap you have as each round of strips around the center square are trimmed to exact using the Log Cabin Trim Tool after they are sewn in place. There are 3 rounds of strips around the square to make each block. Trim each round as it is completed and before you proceed to the next round. If you don't have the tool you can order it from my website jeanannquilts.com or order from my Etsy shop.



I sew the borders in place and trim to size, taking care to make the side borders are the same width and then the top and borders are the same length as well. For the side borders cut 8 strips 1-1/2" x WOF. Sew together end to end, sew side borders first and trim, then the top and bottom borders. Cut the wide borders 6-1/2" x WOF and add to quilt in the same manner as the narrow borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment