Thursday, September 24, 2020

A Quilt Design Journey

Starting today I am going to walk you through my design process for a new quilt. The first thing I do is work up my design on the computer using Adobe Illustrator. I have a MAC so I don't have the popular design program most people on a PC use. Here is the design I am getting ready to sew. The artwork has a few notations as to block size, number of blocks, all with labels to keep them in order. The blocks will be made using my new 10" Log Cabin Trim Tool Duo by Creative Grids.

The biggest decision is selecting fabrics. I decided to use some of my extensive collection of Kaffe Fassett fat quarters to make this quilt. 
Fabrics auditioned but not selected.

\
Final selection...I think

I have grouped the fabrics according to color assignments for the blocks. I will be adding solid light colors in white, yellow, orange, and either beige or grey to add contrast.

Now I am off to sew some blocks. Come back on Monday to see how they turn out. Sewing a sample block in each color family will determine if I continue with these fabrics...or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment