Monday, July 27, 2020

Inspiration...Mirror Ball

Inspiration for a quilt can come from many places. In Lake Park, Florida the old city hall had offices on the first floor and an assembly room on the second floor. Way up high in the assembly room was a mirror ball that lit up the room when community dances took place curing the mid 20th century. In the late 20th century I went there weekly to play bridge. I thought of that mirror ball when I was challenged to make a quilt using a collection from Free Spirit fabrics that featured shiny dots. 
 

Here is a similar ball and the quilt I made and named Mirror Ball Dots. It is a simple quilt using 4" Pinwheels and simple Square on Square blocks with appliqué circles. A four patch border with smaller circles randomly scattered frame the center. Little did I know that many years later I would design a Square on Square Trim Tool for Creative Grids that would make both blocks. I used water glasses as templates to make the appliqué circles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment