Monday, July 20, 2020

A Happy Accident

Remember that slogan, "Make lemonade out of lemons"? This is what happened in putting this quilt together. It is one of the last quilts I co-made as editor-in-chief of QUILT magazine 15 years ago. My original design called for 9 blocks set on point separated by rail fence blocks. Alternate blocks were to be plain muslin fabric. The flower designs were taken from the actual fabric (with permission). Somehow only 8 blocks were finished. I then sent the blocks home with my sewist, Jan Crandall, to be set into the quilt top. With only 8 blocks (the 9th block went missing) Jan crafted this original and unique setting that is a little like a puzzle. The setting happily eliminates the boring fabric only squares we often see in quilts that are set "on point".
The quilt uses a collection of fabrics by Kim Schaefer, one of my favorite fabric designers for Andover Fabrics. Kim has also authored quilt books published by C & T Publishing. Kim has her own company and website Little Quilt Company.
Another fabric collection by Kim is the Christmas fabric used in the Christmas quilt I featured last week. A reminder, while a pattern is not available, the actual quilt is available for sale in my Etsy shop. It appeared as a cover quilt on a long ago special issue by The Quilter magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment