Monday, December 2, 2013

Quilts in Space - on the space station

While checking out the dates for the Fall Quilt Festival in Houston, I clicked this link to see the quilt block that astronaut, Karen Nyberg, designed and stitched up while on living on the space station. www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJNcWncs8Y&feature=youtu.be

You really have to go watch Karen in the youtube video, I have seen it a few times and I end up with a great big grin everytime!

The link for Quilts Inc and information about the Fall Quilt Festival 2014 is: www.quilts.com
Scroll down the left side to find the fall show.

The link to find the rules to make a block in Karen's space quilt are under the Breaking News at the top of the menu on the left side. The rules are easy. You can do it! (You have until August 1st to enter).

Now I have to think up a really clever star block....what will it be?

Just so you can have something to see, I am attaching a star quilt I made years ago...this is not my entry, just a starting point while I put my creative thinking cap in place and start dreaming of my star joining a star from outer space.

Here is a lone star quilt I made a few years back. There is a trick to make this quilt using an easy strip piece method.


Here is another star quilt I made. In this one I alternated the simple Sawtooth Star blocks with "X" blocks so it looks like the quilt is set on point but it's set together block to block.


Do you have a star quilt to share? If so, email it to me via my website with your name a a little bit about making the quilt...your pattern source, etc and I will post it. 

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular.I love stars and have made blocks and quilts with stars.Have a fun week!

    ReplyDelete