Thursday, February 14, 2013

like mother, like daughter

My dad was an artist, in a genre now known as Sunday artists. The means he had another job during the week (he was a chef), but on the weekend he painted. It is no surprise that 3 of his 4 daughters are artists. On to the next generation and some of our daughters are also artists. 

My youngest daughter, Heidi, is an exhibit designer at the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. First she got a BA in Fine Arts, then a masters in Architecture to qualify for the position. Needless to say, I am a proud mother. Here is the sign to a new exhibit, Time and Navigation, to open in late March at the museum. The sign was designed by Heidi and the graphics are by her co-worker, Ashley.


This is a very large sign to hang at the entrance of the exhibit. Heidi says it is a huge glockenspiel with parts (submarine, ship, plane, etc) that light up to grab your attention and draw you into the exhibit.

About 20 years ago I made a quilt that reminds me of Heidi's sign. Here is my quilt with a Mariner's Compass center, stars and celestial print borders.





No comments:

Post a Comment