Monday, May 11, 2020

Too Many Blocks...Is It Possible?

A few years ago I designed a Creative Grids ruler to make "curvy" log cabin blocks. I was so enthusiastic about making the blocks I over-sewed the number needed for the cover quilt making four too many. In my stay-at-home boredom I began cleaning the sewing room. I found the extra blocks and spent a morning making a throw pillow to go with the quilt.


The pillow has joined the quilt on my sofa. I took the photo with my Mother's Day gifts nearby. Flowers from one daughter and (because of the weird toilet paper hoarding), six rolls of Charmin from another daughter because my grocery delivery service s unable to deliver this product. She says there is plenty of TP in North Carolina. Alas, I am in DC. 

The book and the Creative Grids ruler to make the quilt is available as a featured product on my newly designed website: jeanannquilts.com

My pillow is 16" square. My secret for making quilted pillows...using traditional piping to finish the outside edges is a challenge. Here is how I do it.
  • Quilt the blocks first using just the block and batting (no backing fabric).
  • Cut two pieces of fabric for the back of the pillow. Each piece was 16-1/2" x 10-1/2".
  • Hem one long side of both backing pieces.
  • Layer the quilt top, and the two backing pieces overlapping the hemmed sides in the center.
  • Here is my SECRET! Bind the pillow top and backing pieces together around all four sides just like binding a quilt.
  • Stuff the pillow form into the opening in the back where the pieces overlap. 
  • Use a blind hem stitch and sew the opening together by hand. This can easily be removed to wash the pillow cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment