Monday, June 24, 2013

A Hex on Quilters

The hexagon is enjoying a big comeback with quilters. I have just designed a hexagon trim tool similar to my log cabin and pineapple trim tools (coming to a quilt shop near you soon). The inspiration for my new trim tool came from an antique quilt that was shared with the Kanuga quilters www.kanuga.org last January. This 3 day workshop over the Martin Luther King weekend is like a laboratory for my sister, Janet Houts, and I to test out new ideas while teaching a choice of 2 different projects to the quilters who come to sew the weekend away. It is definitely a mutually beneficial event.

Hexagons are popular in Alabama too. I photographed these two quilts featuring hexagons at the Birmingham show last weekend. The difference in the quilts show just how versatile hexagons can be, from sophisticated black and white to pretty pastels. Both quilts are blue ribbon winners. Way to go hexagons!


Elayne Bogmild made her Hexagon quilt using the book, One Block Wonders by Maxine Rosenthal. 


Baby Girl's Flower Garden by Nanny Dinavant. I really like this one because it combines strip piecing with hexagons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment