Friday, May 31, 2013

On the Road - Washington DC

Here I am in Washington DC visiting my daughter and granddaughter for a 6th birthday celebration. Yesterday I had the luxury of spending the day at various Smithsonian museums. I visited three, the American Indian Museum, the Modern Art Museum and the Air and Space Museum where my daughter works as an Exhibitions Designer.

I took lots of pictures at all 3 museums. The first set of photos I want to share are exquisite hand made dolls by contemporary doll makers that were featured in the American Indian Museum. The dolls are from the Charles and Valerie Diker Collection at the American Indian Museum http://nmai.si.edu/home/

A visit to the website will give you more detailed information. Here are photos of the dolls that I liked the best. The dolls were in glass cases so there are some reflections in some of the photos. Each doll was about 18" tall. There were several dollmakers and all of the dolls seemed to be made to a standard scale. 




Many quilters also make or collect dolls so I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. It is worth a visit to the museum to see them in reality. My photos don't do them justice. The detail on each doll was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment