Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Hang it all...on the wall

 I m trying to find a place for all of my quilts. There are about 100 in my collection. I have quilt stacks on top of furniture, on beds and tables. Here are two more display solutions. 

My apartment has a 1950's kitchen. The appliances have been updated including a dishwasher. New formica is on the countertops. I still have a swinging door that I will never use to close off the kitchen from the dining room.  A defunct space heater is mounted to the wall next to the door. Cabinet space is limited. What to do? I put an over-the-door hanger on the now permanently open door and displayed my aprons. I placed an old oak bookcase in front of the heater to store kitchen collectibles and other items. I put my coffee cup quilt on the boring white wall. It's slightly hidden by the door but still effective. 

                                         

When you enter my apartment there is a sort of foyer space directly in front of the door. I placed a narrow table with family photos (my grandmother and grandfather and my father, age 5, in front). Turning to the right is a 10' long hall. Another quilt finds a home! At the end of the hall is a bench with my winter boots beneath just waiting for cold weather and a peg board to hang purses, baseball caps, and coats. Behind them is a photo of my great-grandfather's house. His name was Henry Hawley and he was a country doctor in Freeland, Michigan in the mid 1800's. (Yes, the 1800's not the 1900's.) The town was named for my family.


I used a jelly roll to make the quilt for my second book, Jelly Roll Jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment