Cut (12) of the 10" layer cake squares into 2-1/2" x 10" strips. (Set the remaining 3 layer cake squares aside for the setting squares.) Arrange the strips you have cut for the blocks in sets of 4 strips per block.
Sew each set of 4 strips together. Press the seams OPEN.
Unsew the remaining 3 rolls one seam in each roll, advancing the seam to unsew to make a progression of squares in the same fabric pattern as shown.
Sew the strips together in order as arranged, maintaining the progression of squares by fabric pattern.
This is a completed Roly Poly Squares block. Make 12 blocks.
- To complete the quilt cut the white fabric into (31) 2-1/2" x 10-1/2" sashing strips. Cut an additional (20) 2-1/2" squares from the 3 set aside layer cake squares set aside for for the sashing squares. Sew 5 sashing strips rows using (4) print setting squares and (3) white sashing strips. Make 5 rows.
- Sew the blocks together in rows alternating 4 white sashing strips and 3 roly poly blocks in each row. Make 4 rows.
- Alternate the (5) sashing rows with the (4) block rows and join them together to complete the quilt center.
- Cut (4) 5" border strips from the border fabric. Sew a border to opposite sides of the quilt top and trim to size as needed. Sew a border strip to top/bottom of the quilt and trim to size to complete the quilt top.
- Layer the quilt top, batting and backing. Quilt the layers together. Bind to finish the outside edges.