Saturday, November 10, 2012

Denver in 3 days

I just spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in Denver. On Thursday night I spoke to the Arapahoe County Quilters, a guild of about 200 members. I flew into Denver on Wednesday, and had all day Thursday free before the evening meeting. My hostess, Lucy, took me to the Denver Quilt Museum in Golden. Antique Victorian crazy quilts made up the featured exhibit. It is an exhibit well worth seeing if you are in the area.

The store front entry to the downtown museum.

Here is an unusual crazy quilt. It is a skating costume created by a young victorian lady to wear to the skating rink. She has wooden platform skates. Roller skating was a very popular activity for young people in the late 19th century. 

A detail of a late 19th century crazy quilt. The quilt was first sewn in blocks, and the blocks were sewn together to complete the quilt top. The detail and embroidery in each of the blocks is exquisitely stitched to show the skills of the needleworkers who made the blocks.

1 comment:

  1. OOOHHH another reason to go to Golden, Colorado! Thanks for sharing. I want to go to the Offices of Quiltmaker there.

    ReplyDelete