Friday, February 20, 2015

Back to the Beginning

3 years ago I designed the first Log Cabin Trim Tool. It is 8" and makes a traditional Log Cabin block. Since then I have added tools for strip-pieced blocks for the pineapple, hexagon, curvy log cabin and more. Now it is back to basics as basics are always "in". You can order the trim tool from my website: www.jeanannquilts.com

Last week I was in Hailey, Idaho. It was 59° there, almost summer! I gave programs for the quilters in Twin Falls ID and in Hailey. Here is a quilt made by a member of the quilters in Hailey using the original Log Cabin Trim tool. It was started in a workshop taught by my sister, Janet Houts (holding the quilt on the right). I like the planned color scheme and the way the quilt came together.

And here is another Log Cabin quilt made by Sharon Wyeth using the Log Cabin Trim Tool Two and a pattern from our book, Log Cabin Basics. Sharon is also from Hailey Idaho.


Basics can also take an interesting and creative turn. What about this Red Hot Logs quilt made using the same trim tool. Debby Kratovil, who designed quilts for me while I was editor of QUILT,  is always coming up with a new way to use a traditional quilt block. Here is a Greek key quilt she made using the 8" Log Cabin Trim Tool. The clever placement of the red and white fabrics makes a very different quilt.

Debby is featuring the quilt on her blog http://debbykratovilquilts.blogspot.com/2015/02/red-and-white-and-graphic.html. She has a Cut Loose pattern for the quilt and is having a drawing for one free pattern this week. She also has 11 patterns to sell for $3.99 if you aren't the winner. Visit Debby's blog to enter the drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment